Thursday, April 30, 2015

Adrenaline Beats Caffeine

I am grossly keyed up.  Hyped.  Jittery.

 

I’ve been going at top speed, in panic mode, since 7:20 this morning, when Tony jumped out of bed saying, “Oh, SHIT!  I have a meeting at 8!”

 

It all started last night.  I had to do some fitness testing for this challenge I’m doing, so I made Tony time me doing a wall sit to failure, tree poses, hamstring extensions, squats with resistance, and bicep curls.  A little punch of endorphins at 10 pm.  Then I realized that because we went out to dinner, we had been thrown so far from our normal routine that I had forgotten to make lunch for Charles AND there was clean laundry in the dryer, including diapers, that I would surely need folded and in its proper place by morning.  We rushed to get it all done by 11 and finally dropped into bed.

 

Freddie awoke, as he usually does, around 1:30.  But then, around 2, he started vomiting, and I mean the really awful, “upchuck the entire contents of his stomach” kind of vomiting (we are, thankfully, past the “spit up every time he nurses” stage).  So after clothing changes and draping our bed in a towel, we three settled in for an uncomfortable sleep.  And more vomiting, but not MUCH more vomiting.

 

Then I got up at 6:45 to blearily hike my way over a mountain of toys in my very messy house so I could feed the dog and make coffee.  Then Jamie woke up, and he was upset that he didn’t get to exercise with me last night, so we traipsed downstairs to “exercise,” by which I mean that Jamie sat and watched me do some squats and pushups and triceps extensions before I made him breakfast.  At this point, it was 7:20 and I was starting to notice that my hair smelled like vomit.  I walked upstairs to wake Tony to come down and eat breakfast with Jamie (there’s not much sadder than seeing a three-year-old silently sit alone at the table and eat ever so slowly), which is when Tony popped up and shouted expletives on his way to the shower.

 

From that point on, I was a whirling dervish of activity.  “Charles!  Get out of bed!”  “Jamie!  Get your shoes on!”  We got out the door in record time and made it to school faster than ever.  Laundry!  Dishes!  Stand up!  Sit down!  Fight, fight, fight!

 

And it hasn’t stopped.  I’ve translated this crazy panicked energy into several meetings and tasks at work, I’m about to make a quick trip to the grocery store, I need to get everyone’s bags packed for a weekend away, there’s an accountant party tonight (ain’t no party like an accountant party), and tomorrow I have to do payroll.  It is ALL URGENT.  ALL THE TASKS ARE URGENT.

 

If you talk to me today, please keep in mind that I’ve got something much more powerful than chocolate and caffeine combined: sleep-deprived, panic-inducing adrenaline because I have more to do than I have time to do it!

No comments: