Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Family Anthem

This song from The Muppets (the one a few years ago that rebooted the franchise) started popping up on our “kids’ songs” Pandora station recently (I can’t seem to embed the video, sorry), and now, whenever it comes on, we sing it at the top of our lungs.  We sing it when it doesn’t come on the radio, too, like when we’re in the car, brushing our teeth, or walking home from school.

 

photo 3 (48)  

I sing it softly to the boys when I tuck them into bed.

 

Everything is great

Everything is grand

I’ve got the whole, wide world in the palm of my hand

Everything is perfect

It’s falling into place

I can’t seem to wipe this smile off my face

Life’s a happy song, when there’s someone by your side to sing along.

photo 2 (64)

Sometimes all it takes is a silly song from a silly movie to remind you what’s important in life. 

 

I’ve got everything that I need

Right in front of me

Nothing’s stopping me

Nothing that I can’t be when you’re right here next to me

Life’s a happy song, when there’s someone by my side to sing along.

 

I’ve been learning life lessons from the Muppets for years.  It’s hard not to feel like everything is great when you wake up singing “I’ve got everything that I neeeee-eeed! right in front of me!”

 

photo 1 (63)

 

I think it’s fair and good to take inspiration, motivation, and life lessons wherever we find them.  We’re a storytelling tribe, and the Muppets speak to me and many, many others.  They tell stories I love and identify with.  Charles, too.  Even Tony is singing the song.

 

photo 1 (60)  

So much in pop culture is simply terrible – soulless, violent, angry, and mind-numbing – but when you find something that gives you hope, that helps you see things in a more positive light, well, sing it out.  Dance it out.  Run it naked in the backyard and twirl it above your head.  Put on your mom’s shoes and RACE it out, only to fall, giggling, to the floor in happiness.

 

photo 2 (65)

 

I often feel like I don’t have enough.  I don’t do enough, I AM NOT enough.  But I am wrong.  I am lying to myself.  I am deceiving myself into thinking that there is something more or better than this, right here, right now.

 

Everything is already perfect.  I have everything that I need, right in front of me.

 

photo 3 (49)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this Amelia. Sounds like we need to watch some muppets and learn this song :-)

Leland said...

I always hated the Muppets.

Amelia said...

But Leland, much like Jesus, the Muppets LOVE you.